REFLECTION TASKS PROPOSED BY STELLA COTTRELL (2005)
Reflection: emotional self-managment
For me, the emotions that are most difficult to manage when others disagree with me are:
Anger and surprise.
I deal with these by remained serene and being reasonable, later on, the other person is going to be calm and the problem won't be bigger.
Reflection: influences on my thinking
For me, the influences on my own thinking that I need to be most aware of so they don't prejudice my thinking are: I get easily distracted.
I will deal with this by doing things step by step, and not procrastinating.
Reflection: Challenging opinions
For me, the thing I find most difficult about challenging the opinions of other people are:
Talk without offending others' ideas, sounding unwise.
I deal with these by thinking twice what I am going to say.
Reflection: Do you recognize anything of yourself in Bodner's description of students? What effect would the approach he suggests have on your learning and understanding?
In our education system, we have to memorize and repeat what others said without being critical. The effect would be a constant need for knowing everything, as that stage in which children are always asking about the mysteries of the world.
Reflection: Consider what you could do to manage these barriers in the next few months.
* Misunderstanding what is meant by criticism
*Lack of practice
Now that I know that being critical is different from criticizing, it is an important aspect in which I have to work. It won't be a barrier for me to acquire knowledge, and to take into account different opinions.
Practicing how to develop a convincing speech of my beliefs, and doing research in order to strengthen my own opinion.
For me, the emotions that are most difficult to manage when others disagree with me are:
Anger and surprise.
I deal with these by remained serene and being reasonable, later on, the other person is going to be calm and the problem won't be bigger.
Reflection: influences on my thinking
For me, the influences on my own thinking that I need to be most aware of so they don't prejudice my thinking are: I get easily distracted.
I will deal with this by doing things step by step, and not procrastinating.
Reflection: Challenging opinions
For me, the thing I find most difficult about challenging the opinions of other people are:
Talk without offending others' ideas, sounding unwise.
I deal with these by thinking twice what I am going to say.
Reflection: Do you recognize anything of yourself in Bodner's description of students? What effect would the approach he suggests have on your learning and understanding?
In our education system, we have to memorize and repeat what others said without being critical. The effect would be a constant need for knowing everything, as that stage in which children are always asking about the mysteries of the world.
Reflection: Consider what you could do to manage these barriers in the next few months.
* Misunderstanding what is meant by criticism
*Lack of practice
Now that I know that being critical is different from criticizing, it is an important aspect in which I have to work. It won't be a barrier for me to acquire knowledge, and to take into account different opinions.
Practicing how to develop a convincing speech of my beliefs, and doing research in order to strengthen my own opinion.
Hello there! I found your reflections pretty interesting. I agree with you in terms of Bodner's description of students when you said that our education system is about memorizing and repeating old fashioned patterns. It is an issue that affects the whole educational system because if theachers do not innovate their teaching techniques to teach students how to learn any topic by thinking critically rather than doing it by heart, we will never ever are going to develop critical skils and so, we will posibly become inert beings. Now, I have a little questions for you: What would you do as a future teacher if you are told to teach advanced chemistry vocabulary to C1 (CEF) level students?
ResponderEliminarI'm looking forward to hearing from you soon.
Hey there! Something that stands out, for me, from one of your reflections is the way you lead with the distraction. Nowadays for many people, mainly young people are easily distracted, due to the ease of access to social networks or entertainment sites. I have tried many times not to procrastinate many important activities that I must do, but anything distracts me and I end up doing little or no productive things.
ResponderEliminarWell that's it.
Hey i am here lol, well i found a point of view from you in terms of Challenging opinions, and it is a problematic aspect of our day by day interaction with friends, classmates, professors, etc. because nowadays everyone think that they can think a say whatever they think is a fact, and yes, it true, but in the reality we find people that say their thoguhts but in a way they think their thoughts are the only fact behind a social phenomenon, and in this aspect it is false. i think we need to take into account the aspect you mentioned before, and it is to think twice what we want to say because we need to bear on mind, if our thoughts are coherent with the words we use to communicate and what will be the impact that those word will be interpreted by the other person, and most of time people do not think this and say their own point of view disvaluing the point of view from others.
ResponderEliminar